Bradley Patten |022 438 2723 | celebrant@bradleypatten.co.nz

Kia ora brides and grooms. Wedding and other bookings are currently on hold due to COVID-19. If you are a current client rescheduling/cancelling as a result of COVID-19, check your inbox and cellphone for a message from me, or get in touch to discuss a refund or postponement.

Some common questions for marriage celebrants are listed below.

What do I need to get married in New Zealand?

To get married in New Zealand, you need

  • A marriage licence from the department of internal affairs
  • Two witnesses
  • A celebrant

More information is available from the DIA website or

Can you organise a marriage licence for us?

No. Couples are required by law to organise their own marriage licence through the Department of Internal Affairs. This can be done up to 3 months before the ceremony. You should allow at least one business week for your application to be processed.

How do I get a marriage certificate?

Marriage certificates are supplied by the Department of Internal Affairs. You will find information on how to obtain a marriage cetificate on the back of your marriage licence.

Do you officiate ceremonies for same sex couples?


My partner and I are in a civil union. Can we change this to a marriage?

Yes. There is a separate process for this. The information on the DIA website will walk you through this.

Are you a member of a professional Association?

I am a member of the Celebrants Association of New Zealand (CANZ)